Saturday, March 2, 2013

Morning Moments

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for hosting this annual challenge.
Recently I've entered into the habit of waking early.  Long before anyone else would consider reasonable, my alarm chirps and I slip out of bed, tiptoeing down the stairs to the kitchen with my laptop in hand.  I can hear the hum of the furnace as my coffee drip-drips into the pot, the warmth of both sounds a comfort as I begin to click on the keys and write.
My pup will occasionally groan and roll over as I sit and create, but even she knows that these morning moments are mine.  I need this time to work out the stories in my mind, to allow my characters to speak, and to work with the words that wait within.  Some days they are more willing to come out and play on the page, other times they stubbornly sit, but all days are important and necessary.
These morning moments are mine.  I am not Wife.  I am not Mom.  I am not Teacher.  I am not Sister.  I am not Daughter.  I am Friend to myself, taking time to nurture Me and the creative spirit inside.
It has taken me many, many years to realize that I need this time.  There's always something in the day to do, once the motors of family and work start churning.  Teaching, chauffeuring children to lessons and activities, laundry and household chores, even nurturing my marriage are communal events that I happily do to share and give to others.  Finding myself in the morning, being with myself in the morning, however, is the fuel that energizes the rest of my day.
The screech of my teenage son's alarm and the thud of his feet thundering in his room above bring my morning moments to an abrupt close.  I finish my thoughts, save and close, heading upstairs with coffee in hand.  As I ascend into my day, I become Mom, Wife, Teacher and Friend.  But because I have been with Myself and my words on the screen, I know that I am still inside there, too.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this sentence in your post: "Some days they are more willing to come out and play on the page, other times they stubbornly sit, but all days are important and necessary."
    I find this so true when it comes to writing. I sort of understand that struggles are important part of creating, but I can't say that I like those moments:) Thanks for sharing a slice of your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one likes the stubborn days, but we know that they happen. They eventually pass, and we try again, right?
      Thank you for your thoughts, and happy Slicing!

      Delete
  2. I love how you framed your post with entering your writing space and exiting it. That alone to create time is important to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that lesson was the one that took me the longest time to learn. I'm glad that I understand it now, and I actually look forward to the alarm every day.

      Delete
  3. Love this, Kris! I need to dive back into some fictional creation work. I did some this summer with Teachers Write but got myself written into a corner and stopped working on my stories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiction is an entirely different animal than any other writing I have done. I am STILL working on my MS from Teachers Write. The freedom of it is simultaneously invigorating and intimidating. I will keep at it though, and I truly love the challenge of the process.
      Thank you for stopping by again today to visit!

      Delete
  4. "I am Friend to myself, taking time to nurture Me and the creative spirit inside." Such a powerful reminder to me to take care of the writer, artist, or creator in me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration. I need to start getting up early myself. I love the way you describe how the time is good for writing, and also good for YOU. I am sure it would be the perfect start to the day.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments or feedback. I welcome your words! :)