Saturday, March 9, 2013

Delight in the Ordinary

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for hosting this annual challenge.

A typical Saturday.  Karate lessons, check.  Groceries, check.  Haircuts, check.  Happily, we have all achieved our intended goals on schedule.

But for me, this typical Saturday has not always been.  Saturdays in the past have involved many different things.  Refusal to try on new shoes at the store.  Running away and screaming at department store announcements. Tantrums in the aisles of the supermarket when the store is out of princess fruit snacks.  Strangers approaching our errands saying, "I have a cousin 'Like That,'" nodding their heads As If they Understand, or worse, avoiding eye contact as we approach.  Community outings on Saturdays with my daughter have not always been normal.  But then, with 16 years of navigating her sensory issues, limited speech, and diagnosis of Down syndrome, my perception of Normal is vastly different from the norm.

It is not Normal to find people who fully accept my daughter and everything that she is, but Dani is the exception.  We moved to a new community 3 years ago, and I am truly grateful to have found this gem of a person.  Dani is my hairdresser.  When I first inquired about cutting Miss M's hair, she openly welcomed her into her clientele.  Patiently she waited for Miss M to cross the barrier into the salon, with its hairdryers and bustle of conversation and motion.  When she sat down in the chair, she engaged her in conversation and made her giggle.  She approached her slowly, but with confidence and grace.  Eye contact and smiles, my girl was enamored.  And it didn't hurt that Dani has Red Hair.  Red, her favorite color.  

Each time we arrive at the salon, the transition has gotten easier.

Today, it was Normal.

Normal.

She sat.  Dani cut.


She smiled.

Dani styled.


She beamed.

Dani added her flair.


Normal. 

But Extraordinarily Exceptional, and Blue.

What a delightful, ordinary Saturday.

What a Delightful Dani.

6 comments:

  1. You touched my heart. What a loving glimpse of Danni and your daughter. It is wonderful that Danni is able to appreciate and make your daughter blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful. I'm tearing up.
    Thank you so much for sharing this,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that Dani and Miss M have such a special connection! Love the blue flair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue flair is lovely! Thank you for sharing your slice of happy ordinary with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani is a beautiful person. Your daughter is beautiful, too. Thank you for sharing from your "extra"ordinary day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw this today for the first time. One of my other clients saw it and showed it to me. First let me say that this is the nicest thing that anyone has ever said about me, and second, I'm touched. This is the reason I love what I do! I am and have always been honored that you trusted me enough to allow me into her life. She is always the highlight of my day when she comes in. So thank YOU for sharing her with me!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments or feedback. I welcome your words! :)